January 7, 2011

Happy New Year

I like quilting. I like buying fabric. I like looking at quilt patterns. But to me the best part of quilting is starting a new project. It's creative and energizing and gives me a rush almost as wonderful as chocolate. And then something happens. That feeling fades. And another UFO (un-finished object) is born. True, they don't all end up as UFOs. It just feels like it sometimes. I do finish many projects, but it's never quite as thrilling as starting something new.

In January, 2009 I had over 30 UFOs. They were sorted and labeled and neatly put away (I like to organize!). In 2009 I made 20 quilts, plus completed various sewing projects such as bibs, skirts, stuffed animals, purses and curtains for 3 rooms in my house.

In January, 2010 I had about 50 UFOs. I couldn't believe it! The UFOs were breeding like bunnies. In an effort to control the alien invasion, I decided I should finish as many of these projects as possible. My goal for that year was to finish one UFO for every new project I started.

I did that.

I cut the number of UFOs in half. I should be thrilled that I completed a goal, but I'm not. It was kind of a miserable year and I'm glad it's over. I don't want to do that again. This year I'm going to stop "working" on what I do badly (finishing projects) and focus on doing what I do best (starting projects).

I resolve to start one new project each week.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright...

    How do I become one of the privileged people who say they own a Shelly Chamberlain original?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. You are such a nut... a talented, creative, genius nut. I'm excited to see what comes this next year. And I just might start dabbling in the quilting world, too (mostly because Harley's been asking to make something). We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great resolve!!!
    Sure hope you share pictures of all these new projects. I'm looking forward to the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm anxious to see a picture of that white quilt you were working on one the times Sabrina and I came over! Can't wait to see all your projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are AMAZING Shelly!!!! I love all of your creations! My favorite one is your love book! and I am so excited to follow your blog!!

    ReplyDelete