January 16, 2011

Week Two

My friend Wendi let me borrow her book, "Schnibbles Times Two" by Carrie Nelson. The book explains how to make several different quilts from either 5" or 10" pre-cut squares, commonly called charms and layer cakes. Unfortunately I used a set of Christmas theme charms for the first quilt I attempted from the book. That little bit of space junk (not quite an UFO, not yet anyway) has been occupying the top of my pool table for several weeks. It's easy sewing, just lots of little pieces to manage.



I wanted to try the author's technique for making a flying geese unit (a three triangle rectangular unit) and I loved her star quilt. But I didn't know if I'd like it enough to commit to the quilt project in the book. My solution--use layer cake size scraps and make a few sample blocks. There are 4 flying geese units in each block.


Note to self: measure twice, cut once--NOT cut too small, measure, cut again.

No comments:

Post a Comment